Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 7: Open Air Museum - Venetian Glass Museum - Lalique Museum - Bullet Train to Hiroshima
Day 7: Open Air Museum - Venetian Glass Museum - 
Lalique Museum - Bullet Train to Hiroshima

Yesterday's weather had really gotten to my friend so she decided to rest up at the hotel for the day while I tackled the elements. 

This was our last day in Hakone and I was determined to not let a bit of rain, wind and cold weather stop me from seeing the things I wanted to see here. The weather looked like it was going to be a repeat of yesterday as I made my way to the Open Air Museum. 


Descending down the escalators and through this dark tunnel made me feel like I was going down the rabbit-hole. I really didn't know what to expect. To my delight, this amazing scenery revealed itself to me and I could see outdoor sculptures, one by Henry Moore and many others just scattered along this picturesque mountainside. It was here, the rain finally decided to stop. 

It doesn't take long for me to realise this is one of best museums I have ever been to and I wish my friend was here to see it as it would of definitely changed her mind about all museums being boring. I could of lingered on for hours at this museum, but the luxury of time was something I didn't have.

The next museum I visited was the Venetian Glass Museum. This was also an amazing museum to see, especially with all the outdoor glass sculptures on its ground. My final museum for the day was Lalique Museum. I couldn't take much photos here, as cameras weren't permitted, but what I did get to see at Lalique were displays of some really exquisite glass pieces like perfume bottles, brooches and jewellery.

While I waited for my bus to arrive to take me back to the hotel, the mountain scenery on this side of Hakone feels so reminiscent of the Glasshouse Mountains in Maleny that for a fleeting moment it feels like I'm back home. It's a strange feeling when the lines between your dream and reality are blurred and even though it's obvious where you are, you still have to pinch yourself when you think "I really am in Japan!"

When I finally made it back to the hotel, it was rather late in the afternoon. My friend was worried because she thought I got lost... but I didn't! In fact, I was slightly chuffed with myself for having navigated all around Hakone for the day. 

We were both ready to leave this miserable weather behind us and make the five hour bullet (shinkansen) train trip to Hiroshima.

The first time we saw the bullet train was AWESOME! And a little scary too, especially when it roared right pass us. Getting to ride on one was really exciting. On our way to Hiroshima, we caught glimpses of some of the cities like Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka which we would later come to visit on our trip. We also had heaps of time to kill and for whatever reason, we decided to put on a mini photoshoot session with our Japanese notes and coins. This was unexpectedly fun and kept us entertained for a bit on our long commute.

That night we rode the streetcars in Hiroshima for the first time before checking-in to our hotel.

2 comments:

  1. Hehehe I was chuffed when I went around Paris by myself. Definitely an accomplishment. Dont think I could do Japan though =s

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't remember how many times we got lost in Japan. In the touristy areas like Hakone there's more english signs though which helped me alot!

    ReplyDelete